lesson
Tuesday the 9 th of november
word of the day :
how do you say " cela me fait peur " ?
it's freaking me out (slang)
I am scared stiff =I am petrified
It makes my hair stand on end (cela me fait dresser les cheveux sur la tête)
I am afraid of + ing/GN
I am Frightened of / by + ING/GN
I fear +ing/GN
I Dread
WHAT IS YOUR GREATEST FEAR ?
1) I am a fraid of being alone
Carla gives me the creeps
Witches give me the shiver
ARE YOU AFRAID OF DYING ?
2) I am not terrorized by death
I am not awed (awe = frighten) by death
AN EXTRACT OF A FILM : THE DEAD POETS' SOCIETY
the characters are a teacher with his pupils.
He is taking them to the hall of the school to admire/ take a look at some old photos displayed (display= show)there.
the people on those photos are former students who are all dead now / they are all pushing up the daisies( manger les pissenlits par la racine)= eating the daffodils by the roots/ they are all food for worms (a worm = un vers de terre)now.they kicked the bucket(kick the bucket = avoir passé l'arme à gauche) a long time ago/ they are all dead (adj= mort) : they died(die = mourir) a long time ago.
he mentions the word Carpe Diem which could be translated by Seize the Day otherwise enjoy life while you still can , while you are still young.
ARE YOU AFRAID OF GETTING OLDER?
I am not frightened at the thought of getting older because I will gain more experience and will enjoy life to the full.
On the other hand getting older gives me the shivers because I will not be able to do the things i can do now because I will be weaker.
Homework: for monday
notion fear
+ vocabulary.
Aucun commentaire:
Enregistrer un commentaire